I don’t post solo episodes that often, but I felt like it was time to share a few thoughts on what’s working well for me in this chapter of school. It’s been just 3 weeks back after being away for maternity leave and my heart is full and actually–surprisingly–kind of happy! Shocker, right? Anyway, to get the full explanation, jump into the podcast attached. Show notes / references of things I mention in this show are at the bottom of this post.
What has held me up?
- FFTs (Brene Brown unlocking us): giving myself over to sucking
- The opposite of an Irish goodbye: sneaking in almost undetected with very little fanfare
- Leaning on the people around me: takes incredible trust
- Being honest with my admin–quick touch base, people saying “be gentle”
- Designing lessons that are self-guided: students are in and out, my time outside of class is more limited
- Marking inside class time
- Dealing with the stress, not the stressor: Burnout. Getting myself into peak fighting shape.
- It takes incredible Bravery to be able to do less–it’s going against my normal programming in this space, in this career, in this body
- Productivity is not a sign of my worth as a teacher: inspired by Liz Kleinrock and her work around disrupting grind culture in schools
- Bad couch thinking: it doesn’t matter how uncomfortable something is, I will adapt and tell myself that something is okay, even when it is downright awful
Things I mentioned: