A Plan to Action!

Thanks to everyone for Saturday’s most recent Face2Face session! Some excellent conversations developing in both the gym and @edaigle‘s “breakout room” surrounding innovation, the uses of technology and authentic ways of engaging students in the “process” of their learning. I also really appreciated the genuine interest and enthusiasm that many fellow “Cohorters” shared i

In response to my plan. While I’m still working it out, the feedback, tough questions and constructive criticism pushed me to think more thoroughly about my ideas. Shout out to @lwest for her insight and support during our small group discussion!

Here is a DRAFT version of my action plan/HMW statement in its infancy. I’m looking forward to further discussion and feedback. Discourse 4 life!

HOW MIGHT WE PRESERVE “OWNERSHIP” FOR STUDENTS OVER THEIR OWN UNIQUE LEARNING PROCESS IN MUSIC, SO AS TO ENHANCE OVERALL ENGAGEMENT AND AUTHENTICITY IN LEARNING?

3 Replies to “A Plan to Action!”

1. @dmonson I really like that word “Ownership” in learning.

A quick look reveals

“Student ownership is often mistaken for student empowerment, student voice and student engagement. They are not synonyms. Instead, student ownership is the amount of investment learners have in the topics they are learning, the methods they are learning through and the places where learning happens.”

So it looks like you can play in the space of giving your students:

Voice & choice
    input in Content and curriculum
    input into when and where they learn (time and space)
    input into assessment and evaluation methods

check out – http://www.teachhub.com/empower-student-to-take-ownership-of-learning

@edaigle @amaingot @lmustard @amacrae

2. Love this. Thanks, Justin! I think ownership is so important to authenticity in both teaching and learning – something I’d love to discuss further with everyone next time!

3. Love this question: HOW MIGHT WE PRESERVE “OWNERSHIP” FOR STUDENTS OVER THEIR OWN UNIQUE LEARNING PROCESS IN MUSIC, SO AS TO ENHANCE OVERALL ENGAGEMENT AND AUTHENTICITY IN LEARNING?

It’s a powerful one indeed, and I like what @jmedved added. I wonder if this question doesn’t have some assumptions built in though? To what extent would you students agree that they already have ownership to preserve? What is the connection between ownership and authenticity?

To Justin’s point, how might you ensure to meet curriculum expectations (top-down) and allow for student ownership (bottom-up)?

I hope that you’re able to dig deep on this question that you’ve posed and get some student input too!

Thanks Derek, great work on our F2F day and certainly here too!
    Cheers,
    Garth.