I am embarrassed to say this, but I think I forgot about introverts…. I am so sorry!

@gnichols opened my eyes to this last year when he told me “he was actually an introvert raised to be an extrovert” and a big alarm bell went off in my head. Am I doing that to my daughter?  Also, am I doing that to my students? We as teachers, really value group work and collaboration in our classes, and I for one am a MAJOR advocate for “together is better” but am I doing it too much?

I watch the Ted Talk by Susain Cain (who started the Quiet Revolution) and it was an excellent start for me in terms of my learning about how to bring more quiet to the classroom. In essence, she states that,

“In a culture where being social and outgoing are prized above all else, it can be difficult, even shameful, to be an introvert. But, introverts bring extraordinary talents and abilities to the world, and should be encouraged and celebrated.”

I am an extreme extrovert. Being alone is usually the last and most unpleasant option for me at any given time. Last week my husband was away, my children were with their grandparents and I didn’t know what to do with myself! I hate the discomfort of knowing I am supposed to enjoy being alone when really I don’t.

So, I am set on a path of discovery this year: Learn more about introverts and change my teaching to honour what they can offer.

Any introverts have any insight on what it was like for them in a classroom and being made to constantly collaborate? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

p.s. I think @gnichols turned out great !!! I just didn’t realize you could do that to a person 🙂 So thanks to Garth for bringing my attention to this!

Image credit: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/why-introverts-are-important-to-society

6 thoughts on “The Quiet Revolution

1. Hey there,
    This is a great journey that you’re on! I believe the phrase is that I am a performing introvert 🙂

2. This is a great great question. In a world where extroverts are valued and celebrated are we doing enough for the introverts out there?
    Susan Cains book Quiet has been adapted for kids “Quiet Power” “The monumental bestseller Quiet has been recast in a new edition that empowers introverted kids and teens wrote a book”
    We have our students sit in group desks and work on group projects every day. What can we do to make sure to find space and moments for our introverted students?

3. Great post Allison!

I currently teach high-achieving students, many of whom are very verbose! This is wonderful for engaging classroom discussions, but I am equally impressed by introverted students who have a keen ability to listen to understand, as opposed to listening merely to respond.

I have been balancing in-class discussions with online roundtables (using parlayideas.com) to promote all student voices/opinions to be equally shared. It is great to see the whole range of student perspectives come to the fore using this tool.

4. Hi @amacrae. I too am interested in this topic. Learning more about it has really helped me to learn more about myself. I would recommend the TED Radio Hour’s podcast called Quiet. It really does a great job of talking about the different facets of quiet.

Anyways, I too am a “performing introvert” as @gnichols put it. I have tested as “an introvert with extroverted feeling”. In a crowd, with friends or when making a presentation, I display many characteristically extroverted qualities. I enjoy being social, meeting new people and putting myself out there. However, I am really fueled by quiet alone time. When my partner and I moved in together, I just could not figure out why I had such a short fuse…it was supposed to be a happy time after all. However, it was not until I realized I was not getting my alone time to recharge, that I realized the importance of it. (He is an extreme extrovert as well but presents as an introvert so needless to say this was an adjustment for both of us!).

Anyways, as for your questions about the classroom. I find that a lot of my teaching and learning time is collaborative. It favours the extroverts, as you described. I try to balance it with time to be alone and quiet. I call it Quiet Time. I give it to my students at least once a day. Usually after recess or sometimes after a really group intensive lesson. My students know they can ask for quiet time for themselves or for the class. I also have a quiet corner, where the students can go if they do not want to be bothered, or they just need a tucked away work space. So far…I think we are happy with it?

1. Isabella,

Thank you for the podcast recommendation, I was just this morning realizing how much I needed a good one for my commute.

I am really excited about adding more of this to my classroom. I think I will mandate a definite “quiet” time during each lesson. Perhaps it is symbolized with a giant Q on the board. I love the idea of getting the kids to spend more time in quiet so they really have the opportunity for deep thinking.

Perhaps I come up (with the students) different symbols to help direct the students with how the classroom should “see and sound” for the remainder of the year.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Comments are disabled.