Brave Teacher Displays Student’s Actual Work

I came across the following photo as I was scrolling through Pinterest this weekend…

Perhaps one might think, “How does this make a teacher brave? What else would be on display other than their student’s work?”

Often, when teachers would like to describe the success of a project to a parent, fellow colleague, administration or friend; we may choose the project with the best aesthetic appeal. This may be regardless of the depth of learning this student was able to exemplify in the process of creating their work.

What if I told you that until recently, I was very caught up with what my student’s final product would look like at the end of a summative project? In the back of my mind, if their final product did not meet the success criteria, then it would look as though I was not clear in my teaching. I always had high expectations and I still do, however, my mindset has shifted greatly from this product focused train of thought over the past 3 years.

Process Work vs Product Work

I am happy to report that current progress on my Cohort 21 Action Plan has shed light and positivity on the power and benefit of quality process work. I am so thrilled to share the details with our Cohort 21 family and Design Thinking masters!

For those of you who have been following my journey thus far, you are well aware of how I have been itching to introduce Design Thinking activities, similar to what we have been doing in Cohort 21, into my practice. Well, I finally did it! I took that leap, let go of the control I evidently had over my student’s final products and WOW! It has been a whirlwind of experiences. Feelings of confusion, doubt, and pressure slowly transformed into student engagement, critical thinking and realization throughout our most recent project.

**Warning: Design Thinking activities may cause increased engagement, critical thinking, and ownership of their final product for your students**

This project in my Grade 11 Media Studies class, gave students the tools to brainstorm using an adapted version of our Cohort 21 Design Thinking Booklet. Activities included: Reflecting and Validating (Discovery), Sphere of Influence, Empathizing, How Might We(Consolidate), Crowdsourced Inspiration (Ideate), Crazy 8’s (Ideate) and Refining (Iterate).  

Student’s began their journey by brainstorming opportunities, issues, or challenges that they may be currently curious about in the world. The lesson objective was for students to be able to use the result of their brainstorming to help inspire the type of magazine cover and contents page they would create. Then, they could apply their knowledge of print media conventions and design principles to their work.  

‘How might we… promote a culture of ACTION in our students while also fostering a process of bringing these solutions to a more manageable level?”

In this regard, I was hoping to guide my students towards the realization that by turning their problem or challenge into a question, they can begin to search for solutions within their sphere of influence.

Here are some of the topics my students felt passionate about:

MindMap created using: bubbl.us

When I look at this MindMap, I am impressed with the variety of interests represented. In many cases, students were able to create magazines that promoted their interests, core values and beliefs in regards to their big question. In my opinion, this process gave immense value to something as simple as creating a magazine. By creating a piece of art that sends a positive and mature message – they are making a difference in their world. See examples below:

Student creations by means of the online platform: Canva

“They are making a difference in their world”

Overall, my students felt as though our activities provided them with quality time to think, refine and expand on their own thoughts. They also appreciated that their package gave them a way to organize their ideas and acted as a resource they could continue to refer to. More than anything, my students really enjoyed the amount of formative feedback they received from their peers and teacher in an active and ongoing manner throughout the entire process. Please enjoy some of their personal reflections at the conclusion of this blog.

As I read these quotes from my students, I am aware of how much more they were able to learn from this revised assignment. Thank you Cohort 21 for taking the time to read this blog and for giving me the push to try something new in my classroom.

Some Grade 11 thoughts on the Design Thinking Process:

“Throughout this design process and design thinking activities, I felt inspired to create positive change and equality in the world”

“I was able to gain valuable feedback and great suggestions from my classmates”

“I was trusting my gut as opposed to overthinking every little idea through this process”

“It kept my ideas organized and gave me a range of new perspectives from my classmates”

“I was continuously inspired to add to my own thoughts and ideas through this process”

“I constantly referred  back to my design thinking package as a reference”

“I enjoyed the process and got to fully express myself while fully flushing out my ideas, which is something I don’t always have time for in other projects”

So tell me, have you implemented Design Thinking in your lessons? How did this way of thinking make your students feel? Do you have any feedback on how I should better implement DT in the future? Have you tried something new in the past couple of months? I would love to hear your stories!

Link to student created Success Criteria: Magazine Assignment 2018

2 thoughts on “Brave Teacher Displays Student’s Actual Work

1. Wow @dduguay, this is amazing symmetry between your experiences and with cohort21 and those you have successfully facilitated for your students. Your excitement for the extent of your discovery and your students learning is palpable. You have also spun some lasting language here in opposing process to product and addressing the fear (present in SO many) of letting go.

This is my favourite quote: “I was trusting my gut as opposed to overthinking every little idea through this process”

In my experience, building backwards from the product can be debilitating for certain students. It begins under the premise of judgement. Operating through “gut” is also the opportunity to learn something of self. Congratulations on making learning authentic and lasting.

And…

HOLY! You are in our heads! @ddoucet and I were just chatting minutes ago about forming an abbreviated DT lab around student voice and action for Thursday’s CAIS Student Leadership Conference. Thank you for the template. We will definitely reach out for wisdom.

@tfaucher @nbendle

2. Danielle, this is such a fantastic and reflective blog post. One that I think many, if not all, teachers can relate too.

The line that struck me right away was, “In the back of my mind, if their final product did not meet the success criteria, then it would look as though I was not clear in my teaching.”

Talk about teacher fear reality! Especially when we are using DT, this fear can escalate as we gleefully see our students branch off in ways that we had not thought of. That “Traditional Teacher Troll” can rear its ugly head and start to place doubt:
    “Sure, its a great idea, but it isn’t what you planned!”
    or
    “But thats not on the rubric!!!!”

I think you have nailed it on the head (and the sent the troll packing) when you talk about the quality of the process. It takes the learning process, something that we as educators have try to turn into a straight direct route to the end result, and allows for twists and turns and squiggles to occur. It is exciting….. and all the other emotions you mentioned. But as you brought to the forefront of your post, oh so worth it!

I can’t wait to hear about this more tomorrow!

Cheers!

Tracy

Comments are disabled.