Final Reflection…The beginning of the end

It feels both strange and premature to be posting my action plan. I feel like I’m still running off in all directions.
I haven’t achieved my vision but I’ve realized that if I’d held on to “my” vision of the plan I wouldn’t have come nearly as far. I’ve let go of my goals of creating fancy tracking programs, digital dashboards and badges to focus on stripping away barriers between students and engaged learning. I have many hopes…I crave watching students jump into learning with abandon, I urge them to recognize that the curiosity that intrudes their thoughts is not a distraction but rather an opportunity, I wish teachers could feel like they have permission to disregard their lesson plans to follow the lead of student interest.

But…I know that there have been so many years of training that have gone into the creation of teachers and students who feel obliged to get the grade and teach to the grade. In listening to middle school students, middle school teachers and administrators, there are so many barriers; time, ministry expectations, tradition and culture to name a few. From the outside it almost looks like changing the way that we teach, learn and recognize success is a foolish goal.

All it takes, however, is a short conversation with a student about music, sports, social media,  or injustice to feel emboldened, to be reminded that there is passion in there. The headmasters list was the first casualty in the work towards a more holistic, relevant and experiential middle school program. I’m going to venture and say that the best is yet to come!

Below is my attempt to explain what is was that I was working on and thinking about this year. It’s long…sorry!  I should also draw your attention to the title: Recording #4 HA! Yep, that is exactly how many attempts it took for me to figure out how to get the darn thing to work, I didn’t even attempt to name this baby.

Here’s to Cohort 21 for nudging me to shift my mindset, to try new technologies, and not only make some moves but also to consciously consider my movement forwards, backwards, sidewards and upwards. Thank you!

3 thoughts on “Final Reflection…The beginning of the end

1. Garth Nichols

Hi Andrea,

This is a GREAT example of risk-taking that we try to promote within Cohort 21 – don’t you feel more engaged and empowered by perservering through and succeeding with this technology?

I think you’ve done a great job articulating the WHY of your action plan, and you’re supporting it with great examples. Your visuals fit really well too! I encourage you to do this one more time, and restricting yourself to 5mins or less. What is essential to your action plan? What can be cut?

I would position your video as the tool to inspire others to follow you, to enroll them in your vision. “Silo effect”, “Highlighting who did not succeed”, “Where is the student voice”? These are compelling concepts within education.

I look forward to your next iteration!
    garth.

Reply
  2. Adam

Hi Andrea! Your style of thinking aloud is really easy to listen to. I go back and forth between, one one hand, wanting media to be as short as possible and, on the other, enjoying the long form, the slow conversation that builds in time to soak up the mood and details. Your video would work well in a summary activity in which another teacher had to listen to your narrative, summarize it and help create your plan. I agree with Garth that you will inspire others with vision of an empowering middle-school student program – and in that case, a shorter escalator pitch would do it!

Thanks for sharing@
    Adam

Reply
  3. Laura Mustard

Thanks for your reflection, Andrea! As Adam said above, I really like screencasting as a method for sharing final thoughts on your Action Plan. I feel like I took a deep dive with you and have a real understanding of some of your challenges and triumphs this year. What an ambitious project – I’m glad you’re taking iterating seriously, it sounds like you’re heading in the right direction to make meaningful change for your students. And finally, I love your mindset toward Cohort. I think you must be modelling what you hope for your middle school students every day. Looking forward to seeing you Friday!
    Laura

Reply