Today the weather has been perfect for our visit to the beautiful Havergal College campus.
Question 1: Why have I joined Cohort 21? What are my professional goals for the year?
I joined Cohort 21 to have a community of like-minded educators as I settle back into Canada in a new city and a new school after having spent much of the last 20 years overseas. Cohort 21 will also give me an opportunity to network with educators from other CIS schools. My goals for the year are to:
- implement a comprehensive and intentional transition plan for the Deputy Head Role;
- work with key stakeholders to develop/refine teacher and staff professional growth, performance accountability, and evaluation processes;
- develop and maintain a culture of collaboration, reflection, and professional growth to support best practices and innovation in teaching and learning; and
- develop my own Personal Professional Learning Network (PLN) and engage in prioritized professional learning.
Question 2: What feels both urgent and important for me and my school at this moment? What are some of the questions I have moving forward?
Being new to both my school and my role, I have a long list of things that feel urgent and important. For instance, building relationships and getting into classrooms is crucial for me to build a solid foundation as I settle in. Generative AI feels like it is bubbling up as a priority for which I could find much support in the Cohort 21 community. Our school community seems to be looking for AI guidelines. This most strongly connects with the two pedagogy strands, although I would want to focus on both Junior and Senior schools.
Some of the questions I have for myself and others related to advancing our understanding of AI include:
- How might I/we invite and encourage diverse perspectives about how students and teachers might use AI? (e.g. task force, student focus groups, etc)
- How might I/we create safe spaces for students and teachers to ask questions and experiment?
- How are other schools (including post-secondary institutions) incorporating AI, and what lessons might we learn from their experiences?
- How might we leverage AI to empower and engage students?
- How might we leverage AI to promote student self-assessment and reflection?
- What professional learning might I benefit from personally?
- What professional learning might our faculty need or want?
I am excited to be able to lean on the Cohort 21 community as I – and my school community – wrestle with these and other questions related to AI.